Playlog : J'ouvert

My current favorite (because I love pretty much all of the songs so far from the score) is a song named "J'ouvert", and it's a particular part of the song, the ensemble parts : 

"way go go, way we go, way go, way we go"

It's got the island rhythm in it. When you read the word as is "J'ouvert", it's French and the direct translation would mean, I'm open or I opened. I looked up the phrase and found out the following : 

"French Creole term meaning "dawn" or "daybreak", as this is the time at which the celebration is typically held."

"J'ouvert typically begins in the early morning, before dawn, and peaks by mid-morning. The celebration involves calypso or soca bands, DJs, and their followers dancing through the streets."

I also realized that for all the time I lived in Bedstuy I missed out on really exploring the Caribbean and West Indian joints. In fact as early as last year I was subletting in Crown Heights and only briefly saw the West Indian Parade... aaah! I wish I can explore these more. 

That is all I have for today's playlog. My struggle to get into the dialect remains. 

Comments