Playlog : Churile / Chudail (चुड़ैल)

 There is a character in the show named Churile, based on the Caribbean folklore.  When I first read that word "Churile" I immediately assumed the term to be a remanant of the Indian culture in Trinidad and Tobago.  In India we have a term for witches "chudail (चुड़ैल)". A chudail is spirit, a woman / girl that haunts you or that you meet in a jungle or by the side of the road when you are lost. Her feet may be turned so if you think you are escaping her, you are walking directly towards her. But apparently the churile from the Caribbean folklore is of a rather specific origin. A churile is usually a spirit of a woman who died in childbirth or was killed while pregnant. The main differnce between a churile and chudail (चुड़ैल) is the significance of an unfulfilled motherly role.

I get to sing along the eerie, haunting aria of the Churile.  Hope I don't hear it in my head before going to bed, YIKES!

Comments